
Well, this is it! It looks pretty nice and the water smells really good--sweet like fresh creek water. The trouble now is keeping them thriving. You can see in front all the Aponotagon bulbs I've dropped in the water, as well as the jar where the danio fry is making its residence until it gets big enough to survive with the others and not get eaten!

This an example of crypt "melt", where the leaves of a recently moved crypt just melt away. They don't like getting disturbed. Luckily I've seen relatively little of that from my plants--the willisii was looking pretty perky yesterday and today even the wendtii is coming around.
3 comments:
Thats a very good job. Altough i think you have used only 1 type of substrate. Am i right ?
Also about the crypt melt, it happens to amazon sword plants and many other plants too. Nothing to worry about. They will be replaced by fresh new leaves :)
Hi Elaine,
nice tank! I'm thinking about doing a planted tank in my 10 gal. Maybe I missed the info in ur previous blogs but can you tell me the details again. I mean type of filter, abt. the lighting, type of plants...do you use Co2? Is it really necessary in a small tank. etc. Thanks.
Hi Izam!
No, if you limit your plant choices to low-light, hardy plants you definitely do not have to add CO2, although I do recommend a good Carbon additive like Flourish Excel.
My filter is just your typical power filter (by Aquaclear) but I do take out the Carbon filtering medium because that can deplete the water of important minerals plants need. Just about any filter (except an undergravel filter) will work for your purposes, though.
Plants...I had this link on my old blog template and I never replaced it; but this site is where I got the major information on what plants (and a good guide to boot). Personally, I have found Java moss, Java ferns, anubias, aponotogons, and crypts practically impossible to kill even when I (sadly) neglect them.
Hope this helps and good luck! There is nothing prettier for you or your fish than a planted tank.
Post a Comment